Making the Most of the Internet - Blog

 

Friday, June 09, 2006

Thoughts on Search Engine Optimisation

 

Take my main web site www.jamesmiller.com.

If you search for James Miller, I'm usually in the top four, despite not being by any means the most famous and the fact that my name is one of the most common in the world. I'm second today, behind the film maker who was murdered by the Israeli Army. (It's actually quite chilling to hear your name mentioned in such terrible circumstances.)

So why do I think I'm consistently high.

1. There is a lot of text on a wide range of subjects.
2. I have a blog, which is updated regularly.
3. I have a book on lulu, which gets a large number of hits and the two are linked.
4. I have put a large number of pictures on the site, that are all indexed in Google.

On the other hand I don't use Ads on the site or to promote it.

I've just started a web site for a large group of lawyers in the Midlands of England; Nottingham, Derby, Mansfield, Leicester etc. One of the things I'm doing to make the site lively, is to add an interesting set of pictures to the banner on the site. I've also decided to put a free library of these pictures on the site, so that it helps with searching.

It'll be interesting to see if it does work.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home