Making the Most of the Internet - Blog

 

Friday, February 15, 2008

Changing Broadband Suppliers

 

Over the last few months the performance from my broadband supplier, Pipex, has gone from good through bad to worse. I used to get a full 1 Mbs connection, but I'm lucky now to get 200 Kbs. It also has great gaps where there is no connection at all.

When I complained to them, they wanted me to run a special connection for six hours, which meant that I couldn't do any work for that period of time. That is probably some of the worst service ideas, that I've heard in a long time.

So I have swapped to BT.

Luckily, I have two phone lines, so I just got BT to put broadband on the other one and all I did was plug my modem/router in and put in a new user name.

I'm now up to 1.5 Mbs and it was so easy.

Speaking to various people who know more about ISPs than I do, I get the impression that since Pipex have been taken over by Tiscali, there has been a lot of technical dumbing down.

But the important lesson here, is that getting a new broadband supplier is not as difficult as you think.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been with Pipex for 2 years and what a great outfit they were, that is until Tiscali got involved.

I have had issues that culminated in me sending letters of complaint by recorded delivery, but never got any replies.

My understanding of the situation is that their Customer Services are now based in the Phillipines and escalated complaints are dealt with somewhere in India.

More recently I had a query relating to an online support account. It has cost over £15 in phone calls numerous e-mails and still not sorted. All I wanted was a password.

I will be changing to a new ISP when my current contract expires.

What a great pity that such a great company i.e the original Pipex has just gone down the pan.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:42:00 am  
Blogger James Miller said...

I now run the broadband by having two broadband lines and use a DrayTek balancing router. The system works very well.

The trouble is that both lines are about a Meg, with the BT one a little bit faster than the other.

Once I have nothing on Pipex, they will be consigned to the dustbin of history and someone else will replace them.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home