Making the Most of the Internet - Blog

 

Sunday, June 17, 2007

American Greetings

 

I've had 185 e-mails today from a company that calls itself American Greetings. This company is not to be confused with the real AmericanGreetings.com, which is a free e-card company.

The crooks use a website called AmericanGreetingsC.org or AmericanGreetingsC.net. I have not clicked the link, as I don't want to be infected with some awful virus. But let's say that the domain is registered in Guyana and the e-mail address to write to is in Latvia.

Doesn't sound like a reputable company called American Greetings.

I've also had 118 greetings from Hong Kong.

Ignore all these very tedious and stupid people.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We seem to be on the same spam list. I received the same this morning. The link in the email is quite sly, reading it looks legitimate until you mouse over the link.

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:27:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I was expecting an e-card, I foolishly opened the email and it asked me to download an updated version of Macromedia. On doing this, it froze my PC, sending it into a vicious circle of restarting but never quite finishing start up before restarting again. Only managed to rescue it as we had set a system restore point two days ago.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I nearly fell for this one but Googled it and read your comment and the ones above before clicking on the link (which I thought might be from my sis-in-law in the US). Many thanks! Brian H

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:26:00 am  
Blogger James Miller said...

Sorry about your trouble, Anonymous.

You did the right thing to post, as if one other person is saved from these crooks, you've done well.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:03:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home