Making the Most of the Internet - Blog

 

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Odd Spam

 

The web site, I wrote for Nicholas Comfort, got some really weird spam last night. In fact it got about a hundred copies of similar messages entered into the contact form on the site.

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
(OrZS3l@"websitename") on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 23:00:31
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

email: OrZS3l@"websitename"

subject: im3gp@"websitename"

name: 2aS7yR@"websitename"

company: Rm1N403@"websitename"

message: eW0vghy@"websitename"

formname:
To: tCA5@dSk.com
From: PUSZ@ftg.com
Subject: mfst***I290phU0
Bcc: onehundredmbits@aol.com

I290phU0

Reset: Clear

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0)
REMOTE_ADDR: 121.156.57.188
HTTP_REFERER: http://NICHOLASCOMFORT.com/contact.html

Note that "websitename" is nicholascomfort.com. I never put e-mail addresses real or otherwise in web sites, unless they are encoded in JavaScript.

I just can't see what the person (or robot) who sent this was up to.

I've since modified the form, so that you have to make a choice from a pull-down list. I've also put checks on e-mail addresses being added in the Subject and Name.

This should defeat robots.

Check out the contact page to see what the form now looks like.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My site had the exact same happen last night from the same IP address. I caught it at about the 90th email and banned the IP to stop it. I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish.

Friday, August 03, 2007 2:16:00 am  
Blogger James Miller said...

It's very puzzling. I've changed the form, so that it has a challenge.

Friday, August 03, 2007 7:18:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've just experienced the same, from the same IP.

It sent thousands which caused us a problem as enquiries are entered into a MySQL table (server load went through the roof).

At first we thought it was a common spam attempt to find a vulnerable form to relay mail through, but it just seems to submit junk to email forms...

Bizarre! If you find anything else out I'd be very interested in sharing.

Cheers

Neil
www.hencam.co.uk

Monday, August 06, 2007 1:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home