Making the Most of the Internet - Blog

 

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Weekly 419s are Growing

 

Since the 1st of August this year, the number of 419s and fraudulent jobs has been growing as is shown by this graph.

Weekly 419s August to October 2007 - Click for Large

A good proportion concern criminals, who claim to have found God and come from West Africa. I am an atheist, but if I fitted the two categories I have named, I would not be pleased, that my faith was being taken in vain and that my country was getting a criminal reputation.

So what should we do?

The police don't act, the government in this country don't act, ISPs don't act, the Banks don't act and the media gives the whole thing a low profile.

So there is really only one thing to do. Write to your MP.

There is a site called WriteToThem.com, where you can contact your MP by e-mail.

How about a message like :-

I have received xxx e-mails in the last week from fraudsters, saying that if I help them get a large sum of money out of their country, I will be able to keep several million pounds, euros or dollars. Most e-mails come from West Africa and often Nigeria. Also a lot have a strong Evangelical Christian religious tone, which I find offensive as I'm an xxx.

I know this is fraud and I would never respond to any e-mail or letter like this.

But I do worry about the more gullible people in society and those who are less Internet-savvy than I am.

So next time Internet fraud is raised in Parliament, can you please make sure that this subject is discussed, as according to figures, the volume of this type of e-mail is increasing.

I also believe that there is a Commonwealth Prime Ministers conference coming up shortly. Perhaps, this could be mentioned to the Prime Minister, so that it could be raised.

One a week to every MP, would be a start.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home