Making the Most of the Internet - Blog

 

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Google Hell

 

If you know your European history there is something called Danegeld, a term that has come into common usage.

If you are paying someone to push your site, through adverts, links or whatever, eventually the whole thing will go belly up as it's built on sand. Remember there's a lot of snake oil salesmen out there, using these dubious techniques to sell even more dubious products, so you'll get tarred with the same heavy brush. The only way to get high places in Google and the other search engines is to add content. Strangely, I believe that the content doesn't have to be that relevant.

So if anyone offers you SEO services which mean you pay them a regular fee and they don't change your site, tell them politely to talk to your competitors.

This morning, I was in the top ten on Google twice for myself and my company, when you searched for James Miller. So I must be doing something right. I add about two to three posts a week to my blogs.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim Trent said...

I go alomg with that 100%

The only methods I know of SEO are:

* to create regular, compelling content
* to avoid tricks, kluges and strategems
* to have W3C compliant html to make spiderbots have an easy life
* to use a Google Sitemap for big G and Yahoo
* to acquire deep inbound links precisely because your content is worth linking to

The rest is purest poppycock. I've been optimising my own web sites for years. My business partner and I have just created HaveBalls.Net - a new sporting blog aggregator, and have been heartened to see this simple site gain a Google page rank of reasonable significance within a month just by following these simple rules

Thursday, May 03, 2007 9:18:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home