Making the Most of the Internet - Blog

 

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

International Donation Association

 

This one would be funny if it wasn't criminal and probably very dangerous to your financial health.

Leap forwarding International Donation Association is looking for new friends and collaborators in Europe.

Become a part of our donating system that includes international donations to HIV positives, war refugees from Middle West and starving children from poorest European countries.

Our program does not charge or ask You to invest anything. We do not try to take Your money. Our regional sponsors and investors from different European Union regions have already accepted our offer and are now the investing affiliates in our multi-European donating program.

Collaborate with our investors during the donation process and earn from 1500 EUR up to 3000 EUR gross salary per month. Together we can make this program work with maximum efficiency and thus have an opportunity to ease the sufferings and minimize the needs of thousands of people.

The vacancy You can apply for is the "Donating assistant" (future promotion to "donating manager" is possible after 3 months of successful cooperation).

Please confirm if You are interested in becoming a part of our program and for immediate and confidential consideration, please reply to Human Resources Manager.

We will then send You more details concerning the vacancy of a "donating assistant".

Thank You very much for You time and for Your desire to help the ones who really need our help and joint support.

Don't you just love that first sentence.

Leap forwarding International Donation Association is looking for new friends and collaborators in Europe.

A forensic linguist could probably tell which is the native language of the crook that thought this up.

What about war refugees from the Middle West? I didn't know that Iowa was at war with Kansas.

I notice that they also say that "We do not try to take Your money." Does that mean that they take it by accident?

Take this paragraph.

Collaborate with our investors during the donation process and earn from 1500 EUR up to 3000 EUR gross salary per month. Together we can make this program work with maximum efficiency and thus have an opportunity to ease the sufferings and minimize the needs of thousands of people.

The crooks say there are looking for suckers from the European Union, but they are obviously not there themselves. Anyone from the EU knows how to put the € symbol into a message and everybody in the EU spells minimise the English or Irish way.

Not too the spelling and grammatical mistakes concerning You and Your. Which language capitalises these two words?

On a more serious side, I've had twenty of these messages today. So it looks like this may be the new scam to take Your money.

So read this message and enjoy it.

But DON'T contact these crooks.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear James

I didn't listen to your advise and actually answered the scammers (about a week ago)

I just received their answer.

I am quite used playing with nigerian scammers, and despite your very clear analysis, I find their email much more "well made" than the usual nigerian s**t.

Won't paste here their second answer, but the requirements are:

being resident in the european community
having phone and internet connection available
having european bank account available

I do suspect a money laundering process, rather than the usual Nigerian fee to release security box.

I keep up my correspondance with them and will keep you posted (I post those on my blog in a regular manner). This is in french though.

Thanks in any event, you're the only one coming up about this on Google (at the moment)

My apologies not for signing this as I want to remain anonymous; without being paranoiac, I don't want to take any chances to have the scammers identifying me.

I will send you a private message through the contact info of this blog.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:09:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got the same email (the source IP address is in Portugal/Lisbon, 81.193.59.246) with a slight different requirement: being resident of either EU or USA (I'm in US).

Cheers,
Kerberos

Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:48:00 pm  
Blogger Kaycee said...

They had me going there until they mentioned the "wages". Some Charity. I always google these types of mails, which how I found your blog (first link in google - well done). Isn't the web wonderful.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:22:00 pm  
Blogger James Miller said...

The web strikes back.

Fight fire with intelligence and information.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:31:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben heel benieuwd naar hoe ze de truc deze keer uitvoeren...

Zouden ze geld overmaken naar jou, waarna jij een deel moet overmaken naar een 'arm' iemand?

Friday, June 01, 2007 5:31:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, english spoken..

I wonder how they will take the fools money this time.

Friday, June 01, 2007 5:35:00 pm  
Blogger James Miller said...

Probably far too easily.

Don't worry about the Dutch?

Friday, June 01, 2007 5:59:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. It is all very well for those of us who know the 'net to laugh at the inanity of this email but there are thousands of people every day coming on here for the first time, and they would be fooled by this.

Once again well-meaning people will lose money they cannot afford to african scammers, simply because we who know better cannot warn them. I wish there was some way we could tell them!

Mind you, I was also shocked to learn of the war between Iowa and Kansas. What will you Americans do next??

Sunday, June 03, 2007 10:20:00 am  
Blogger James Miller said...

I think the only thing we can do is post dangers of the warning and especially in blogs. My posts generally appear within twenty four hours in Google, so I would hope that those threatened might find them.

I hope by your last comment you didn't mean I was American. I'm English and proud of my Jewish, Irish, West Country and Hugenote ancestry.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:24:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry James, I was having a gentle dig at the way so many people on the internet will happily believe anything bad about our colonial cousins, even something as daft as a war between Iowa and Kansas!

I did not intend to imply you are anything other than an Englishman.

I am an Englishwoman but I must confess to a fondness for Americans, and they get such a god-awful press these days...

Your blog is very prominent here in the UK and I have seen it quoted in red-top papers before now, sometimes with a startling lack of awareness about the use of irony. What do you bet there is a story in the Sun on Tuesday about Secret War In The Midwest??

Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:42:00 am  
Blogger James Miller said...

Americans are fine and I have an awful lot amonst my friends. It's just that corporate and government America needs a good kicking some of the time.

I haven't checked the red tops, as I usually read the Independent, FT, Times and Racing Post. I have had articles in the Standard.

If you have any article I'd be pleased to have the reference.

Thanks

Sunday, June 03, 2007 12:29:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the same email.. but it came from Colorado IP. Great possibility of scam.. not 100% sure.

Monday, June 04, 2007 9:36:00 am  
Blogger James Miller said...

It's a scam.

Treat it as dangerous.

Monday, June 04, 2007 1:01:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just receive the same email as you. I'm from Spain and i think this kind of "bad joke" is traveling from america to europe very fast, from the west to the east. Your posts in this blog has been very useful for me. I sent some mails to my friends warning them about this. I also said to them to continue sending more mails warning about this scam in spanish.
Thank you very much
P.D: I apologize for my bad english

Monday, June 04, 2007 8:48:00 pm  
Blogger James Miller said...

No need to apologise for the English. You spell better than a lot for whom it their native tongue.

My Spanish runs to only a few words, and those are mainly ones I can read on a menu or a wine list.

It would not be a bad idea to put short posts in both Spanish and English, so that people like me could learn a bit of Spanish.

Monday, June 04, 2007 9:07:00 pm  
Blogger SEOgirl said...

Hi Jammes,

Thank you for warning I have recived this Email...I known at the beginning that it is some dangerous and not important Email,I hope if I loose it then I will have any problems in spite they have my address...
Sorry for my bad English ( I am Polish woman:-)

Friday, June 08, 2007 1:35:00 am  
Blogger James Miller said...

My Polish is non-existent. Don't worry about your English.

Don't ever reply to these people.

They have millions of e-mail addresses, so they may send you another.

Friday, June 08, 2007 6:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,I Aslo replied to them and gave my details+bank details.they want your sort code and account number so all they can do is put IN funds so i thought it cant be to bad..??they said the first transaction will be in a few days.I(after reading this blogg)said i wish 2 be removed from ur database and have no funds enterd in to my account.Hopefully they dont.I just hope its not Harmfull to me..!

Thursday, August 02, 2007 11:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home