Making the Most of the Internet - Blog

 

Monday, May 21, 2007

Outlook Keeps Failing

 

Recently, I've had a lot of problems with Outlook 2003 failing because of a message that said the following.

Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close.

It's very helpful isn't it.

I finally found what was causing this annoying problem and the solution was quite simple. This is after I reinstalled software, repaired Outlook files and checked everything against what Microsoft says. Or in this case doesn't.

1. I stopped Outlook from sending or receiving any e-mail automatically. You do this under Options and basically it's just a matter of unchecking several boxes.

2. I then did a Send and Receive on each of my accounts individually.

3. Finally, I found that one always failed.

4. I checked it using WebMail and it looked OK, so I reasoned that the problem must be in the local settings in Outlook.

5. I then removed the e-mail account and got Outlook working on all the other accounts, which proved to me that there was only one rogue account.

6. When I recreated the account everything worked normally.

So it was a simple fix in the end after several days of toil.

The problem could have been in the e-mail account or it could have been in a rule that worked specifically with this account.

Hope all this helps and it is the solution many have been looking for.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home